Concession 1, Front,
North half: MacGregor; They had a sale in 1887 and left the property
The pioneering father’s three sons were by three different wives.
1. Andrew McGregor: his daughter Mary Ann m. Arch. Cochrane RG L4,
a second daughter m Leeds and their son m Millie Scott; a third daughter,
Annie m Erwin. Their daughter m Hatfield.
2. Rob Roy McGregor; his son Alex m. Newstead ( daughter of
Ben Newstead, R2 L1)
her sister m John McGeachy of Lockport. Alexander McGregor’s son was
3. John Milroy c1829 Scotland m Margaret Bone c1833-1912 of RG L1
Children in school c 1875 John and Mary Jane McGregor.
1867 resident C. Ramon children in school c 1873-78 Minnie and Christopher
1906 Sampson Sault
Dan Quinnnel who d 1965 in his 88th year came from Surrey, England; with wife
Alice nee Gray. Their son Robert b c 1917-1980 m Helen Chester of Puslinch and
continued on this property, as does their son Dan. Other children
of Robert and Helen Quinnel were Kathleen m Wm. Porter and Helen m
South Half: 1856 letter indicates Mathias Follick was on the north part of the
1851 census: Mathias Follick, age 52 and his wife Catherine age 43 with their
family Mary age 23, Hannah age 21, Joseph age 20, David age17, Enoch
age15, Catherine age 13, William, age 10, Sarah age 7.
Martha age5, Emela age 3..
David Follick continued on the property
On the south part of the south lot, the 1856 occupant was Henry Fields.
In the 1851 census Henry Fields from England age 40, with wife, Ellen age 39,
and family, John age 18, Catherine age 16, David age 14, Eleanore age
11, Priscilla age 10, Robert age 7, Douglas age 4, Jennet age 1
1867 resident - 1880 John Fink Children in school: 1873-78
Mary and John Fink.
1885 J. Fink;
By 1900 Mr. Wm. Lokar had built a greenhouse
1930 until his 1980 death, Wes and Mary Burmaster Kerns, with their family,
had market gardening, & raspberries.
Joseph Parker occupied it according to 1856 letter
1859 Fred Smale (Smeil) 1871+ m.
2. Louisthese were born in the early 1870's
They were still there 1871-85; John Bannington was a tenant there at this time
1885 E. Smeil;
Neil Currie, d 1869 age 79 years, 9 months; early teacher, married into the
Smale family (although his wife may have been a Morrison) and lived on
lot 2. Tombstone says his wife was Catherine d. 3 She d February, 1871 age 74
Neil subscribed to lot 15 church in 1851 and 1854. (5 shillings). Neil
Currie got script for his lot as a result of Crimean War Service for 100
acres, in Waterloo Co but he settled with the Smale family.
Neil Curry Family:
1. Marian m. Johnnie O'Hare McLean., a carpenter who built
Francie McDonald's and Angus Stewart's barns.
At least 2 sons, one Lorne
McLean of Galt
2. John (Jack) a barn framer
3. Willie m, twice; a daughter Mary m. Caroll of Tillsonburg
d. 1933 age 81
a daughter Evelyn m Stewart, Blenheim
1950 F. Currie; A descendent of Johnnie Currie still lived in the house
in 1967.In 1960's Grand River gave the log house to members of the Clan Donald
who then gave it to Doon Crossroads Museum. The Clan took the log house
apart and moved it to Doon.
Purchased from crown by Thomas Eskdale, later of Waterloo Co; associated
with legal profession and mortgages. Deed 1852. MacKenzie says a man named
Ransom was the first settler on lots 3 and 4.
1867 resident: Murdoch Morrison
1875-80 Alex Parks; his son-in-law Michael Brown a tenant
1879Alexander Barton tenant; Wm. Dickie's dau m.Tovell; her dau m
Barton. Barton children went to Killean School;
Alex and Ronald McCormick got title, also lot 4 in 1885-1906. 1906 sold point
to Mr. Lyon property; remainder in McCormick name until death of Mary
Grand River Conservation Authority purchase.
Alexander (Sandy) McCormick 1850-1930 son of Neil lot 6, m. Eliza McLarty
daughter Donald l.7 RG
1. Neil 1880-1935 m. Amy Ferguson
2. Mary 1894-1964 continued farming with help of a hired man.
Eskdale 1856 from Crown; Wm. Robinson Sandy McCormick bought it.
1871-80 George Martin, Farmer. Before the teacherage was built, Teacher
McPherson lived in a house on this farm. W.F MacKenzie writing in the Mercury
in 1908 described Archibald McPherson (1836-1890), the teacher at Killean,
1870-1877 as "a teacher of marked ability, who afterwards taught in
Arthur and at Galt. His wife, formerly Janet Hallb 1840.
His older two sons were at school in Killean in 1873 They were Hugh
A.McPherson who became a Toronto Presbyterian Minister, and the father of Dean
of Women, Jessie MacPheron of Victoria College, University of Toronto,
1934-1969. Robert G. McPherson, became a Vancouver MP John Hall
was likely younger and was not yet in school in 1873. He died in 1932 at his
home in Lamont, AB. They had a sister who m A.M. McKenzie, Hamilton
Ontario, and two daughters who did not survive. MacPherson Mary
Elizabeth 1866-1871 and
MacPherson Jennie 1881-1881
Probably Archibald's parents and his brother were part of the family.
MacPherson Hugh 1800-1884 and his wife Mary McIntyre 1804-1891 and their son
MacPherson Peter 1833-1893
1856 letter indicates a non-resident, Reed, a distiller with Mr.
Hespeler, may deed it. Well before 1885 this lot was divided into 3
Ludwig Burmaster c 1819 from Germany was on this property in 1871-75. He later
moved to the east third He d. age 86 in early 1940's. His wife K.c1834
1. Robert c1864-1940 m. Rebecca Hilliard
2. Sylvester Cambridge
3. Percy m. Winnie
4. Gordon c 1918-1989 m. Christina Leib He was a stationary
engineer at Domtar. Bur. Killean
1. Gordon m. Janice Cambridge
2. Glen m. Diane Cambridge
3. Thelma m. Wm. Hubbard Cambridge
4. Sharon m. Cal Wallace of McDonald Corners
5. Rosina m. Wm. Jahnke;
6. Isobel m. Hector Melvin Parker d.1948 bur Lundy's Lane
7. Mary, Mrs. Wes Kerns lived lot 1
2 William b c 1866
3. Annie c1871-1934 m. Thos Shea d in 64th yr of stroke; spent past 32
yrs in Galt. Dau Mrs. L. Brown Detroit; Mrs. Frank Reider Hamilton; sons
Louis Shea of London and Radford at home. Mrs Hubert is a sister.
2. Martha b c 1872 m George or Henry Hubert
3. Rosena b c 1877 m George or Henry Hubert
Little Sandy Wilkinson, who died in 1930, lived his declining years in an old
log house near the Lake, on this part-farm. When Wm. O Hortop bought his
property, he cleared away the rushes and trees near the waterfront, and
planted spruce trees on the hillside. Unfortunately he lent the log
house to a Toronto Boy Scout troop from Toronto who completely wrecked it, so
it was pulled down. Mrs Hortop sold the property to Rhodes after her
husband died. In 1958, William Rhodes, who had already developed the
marshy shoreline, presented a plan of subdivision for part of lots four and
five, front concession one. The plan allowed for permanent houses on
both sides of the roadway parallel to the Lake.
Fred Bartels 1871, 1875-80 1885. He also had farm across the road. He m. Annie
Marshall who had worked at Archie McLennans and was raised by Frank Congo on
Hobson place. When they moved to Galt, the Killean Choir presented Mrs.
Bartels with an upholstered chair. They paid tribute to her amiability
and marked gifts as a musician. These qualities of your heart and mind will be
efficient means of encircling you with a host of friends wherever you may be.
Signed Maggie Gilchrist and James Bryce. Their family:
1.Charles b. c 1872 d. 1941 . Hespeler daughters Mrs. H.L. Roberts
and Grace, a bachelor
2. Mary b. c 1874 m. Herman Preston
3. Fred b. 1876 and heirs continued on farm till about 1950
4. Alvina b. c1878 m. Archie McKellar
The Middle portion of lot five was held by the Bartels family from
Germany, until about 1950. Fred Bartels Sr. was remembered for his
pro-Kaiser sentiments during World War I. His son, Charles (c1872-1941).
Later the lake front property was sold to Mr. Geislotte of Kitchener.
The 1953 plan of subdivision separated about 14 acres adjacent to the Lake
from the front portion and created six lots, which were sold.
1950 Gustave Witter in middle part
Gus Witter remodeled the main house; and Jim Moncrieff was associated with the
Ken and Betty Andersen bought the main house and property c 1970.
The western portion of the lot is also a severed lot.
Frederick Begerow 1867 resident. The Begerow family had a hotel on the
lake front of their property. Family members:
August Begerow 1871,1879-80
Alvina Begerow m. David Aldridge of St. Marys; he was
for many years a millwright at Goldie-McCulloch Co. Galt. They retired
to live with son Irwin in St. Marys.
Begerow on the most easterly part sold to W. Gignon; reforestation by boy
About the turn of the century the Ludwig Burmaster family acquired the
most easterly portion of lot 5, and their home was at the back of the property
on a hill overlooking the Lake.
They later abandoned the house, and before Pioneer Grove developed,
young people were fascinated by the empty “Haunted House.” They would hike
to the site, and peer through the windows that were not boarded up. Younger
children played around the building and climbed up on the roof.
Marriot’s daughter came to it on her pony, with her dog, and ventured in.
She thought she heard a ghost, but it was only her dog running about in the
empty rooms above!
By 1950 this property was held by Mr. Tremaine.
The unopened road allowance between lots 5 & 6
Roderick Morrison was head of West Puslinch Church family in 1857
Granny Morrison lived in a house here Her daughter Big Christie married Mr.
She had 2 daughters
1. Flora m. Bill or John Schuman
2. Janet m. Bill Flatt who was an admirer of
Mary Ramsay. The Flatt's daughter m. Franklin of Franklin Lumber
Peter Gilchrist took Granny to the poor house about 1888.
After Munro's death, Christie m. old Kane but she was not good to him. Bill
Laur found his body in the snow in the fields between the railway and the
house. He had a plate for Janet with him. Donald Ferguson insisted
on an inquest.
Neil Thomson here first; his widow sold to Neil McCormick (1808-1884) and
Isabel McDonald (1814-1875) He and John co owned it in 1875-76.
Neil McCormick 1808-1884
m Isobel McDonald 1842 over the anvil in her father, Alexander McDonald, at
his blacksmith shop at Aberfoyle shortly after the McDonalds arrived; and they
farmed F1 L6. Neil offered his services to the government side in the
1837 rebellion. He was son of John McCormick 1785-1839 & Catherine
Wilkinson of F3 L16
1Jane 1844-1899 m Lewis Ferguson
4Alexander 1850-1930 m Eliza McLarty
5Janet 1852- 1926 m James McLean (raised by Aunt &
Ronald and William continued farming, with sister Kate keeping house for them.
Catherine (Kate) and William died within 2 days of each other so there was a
double funeral, an unusual event in this portion of Puslinch.
1906 John McCormick et al
1945 Angus McMillan m. Joy Gregor bought it. Their daughters, Mildred m. Alex
Nichol and June m. Holm on the third concession. Angus built a
retirement home which Alex and Mildred McMillan Nichol have owned since c
Angus McKellar (1816-1886) m. Marian Bone c1819-1902 lot 1 Gore. They
pioneered lot 7 1867 resident & John; Probably Angus a son of lot 2 Gore.
Mrs. McKellar wrote in the McPhatter letters: that she was born in Dumfries
Shire Scotland in 1821 and came to Puslinch with her father, the late Walter
Bone in 1835 and in 1840 married Angus McKellar when Killean and district was
all forest. We settled lot 7 on the first concession where we have lived
ever since..I am one of the very first settlers who is left, not one other is
left to remember the early days on the 1st, and the trials we the first
settlers had to bear: carrying our flour on our backs from Galt. I can
remember when the old log school was built and the contract was let to William
Lamont. Size 28 x 36 feet: one door and 5 windows with rough boards for seats
and desks. The trustees were A. McMaster, Angus McKellar and Mr.
McPhatter. The first teacher was Neil Currie. Wolves, bears and deer
were numerous in those days . The wolves were very destructive. Angus McKellar
still there 1871.
Family: 1. John b c 1842
2. Wattie c 1844 m. Mary McLarty lot 8 rear gore
Their family was 1. Dougald m. Grieve (Galt Town foreman
2 John Walter
3 Marguerite m. Edward Couch (Galt)
4 Mildred m. Henry Kern (Kitchener)
5 Esther m. Rod Edwards (Burlington)
6 Joan m. Bernard Walker (Galt)
7 Marion lived in Galt
8 Earle May 5 (Chatham)
3. Annie (Ann Smith) b c 1846
4. Mrs. Jardine (Mary) b c 1848
5. Janet b c 1850 m. Big Sandy Wilkinson
6. Archibald b. c 1852 m. Alvira Bartels d. 1917
7. William b c 1857 d. 1930 bachelor; also farmed here
8. Mathilda m. Big Jack McCormick 1882 Ohio
Their daughter Lillie stayed at Archies till her Aunt died. Lillie
m. a state governor; she died in Atlanta City in 1969. Her brother Archibald
d. 1968 Sister Alma
9 Dougald b c 1870
10 William b c 1870
11. Alex Oakland California went to school c 1871-78
12. Duncan m. went to school 1871-78
1919 Fred and John Beckett bought it; 1923 K.E. Beckett; still in 1950;
Matthew Goetz.c 1975 bought farm, and built new home.
Archibald McMaster (1791-1875) married Catherine Cook (1798-1882) m. 1823 Isle
1867 resident;. Archibald's brother Rev. John is also buried Killean.
Archibald McMaster pioneered the front and rear farms and he donated lot for
school (1 acre) 1845-50. 1867 resident: John; Archibald & John in 1871.
1885 A & R McCormick. 1923 R. Burmaster
Children of Archibald MacM & Catherine Cook:
1 EUPHEMIA b)2/23/2824 m John McLarty;
2 FLORA b)7/3/1825 m Peter Stewart, they moved to North
Dakota in the late 1800's;
3 CHARLES b)3/7/1827, bachelor;
4 JAMES b)1/13/1829 m Christina McLarty (my great-grandparents),
they lived in Puslinch Twp in 1851 & 1861 Con. 2, Lot 8, s-100 acres; they
also went to ND about 1887;
5 MALCOLM b)ca 1832 m Margaret Shaw, lived Minto Twp, Wellington Cty.
Con. 2, Lot
6 ALEXANDER b)9/10/1833 m Mary Cleghorn McAlister res 1861 Minto twp.,
Lots 31, 33,34,
37 of Con. 3;
7 CATHERINE COOK b)9//10/1833 m Thomas McAlister, a cousin, moved to
Colorado but possibly buried in an unmarked grave In Killean Cem;
8 MARY COOK b)12/31/1835;
9 JOHN b)ca 1839 died in Washington Territory.
McMaster Family Hold Reunion at Puslinch (from a clipping c. 1934) "A
happy event took place at Puslinch Lake recently, when representatives of five
generations of the McMaster family gathered at the pretty sheet of water and
pleasant surroundings to spend an afternoon together. Some had not met for
thirty or forty years, others had never met before. A profitable and very
enjoyable time was spent together, picture taking, old-time chats by four
generations and baseball (a good game it was) after which all sat down to a
grand picnic tea. After justice had been done to the inner man, an
organization was formed: The descendants of Archibald McMaster. Officers
included Mrs. Wm Hutchison, Galt; Mrs. F.R. Johnston, Guelph; Miss Annie
McMaster, Palmerston; Miss Lillie McLarty, Hamilton; Mrs. David Champ, Regina
Sask; Mr. John Ord, R.R. 3 Guelph. With power to coopt. The object of the
organizationn is to endeaver to get in touch with the different branches of
the family tree, of which there are many connections in other parts and ...A
biographical sketch shows that in the early thirties of 1800 Archibald
McMaster with his wife, Catherine Cook and family emigrated from the Isle of
Arran Scotland, to Canada. After spending a year or two with Mr. McMaster's
brother John in Hull, Quebec they came west to Ontario and settled on lot 8,
concession 1, Puslinch.. Their family was Euphemia, Flora, James, Charles,
Mary, Malcolm, Alexander, Catherine and John. Of this family, only the widow
of Alexander McMaster survives at 20 Central St. Guelph. Of the second
generation, there were Mr. & Mrs.Wm Hutchison,Galt, Mrs. & Mrs.
George Hutchison, Galt. Archie, John, Flora and Annie McMaster of Minto,
Mr and Mrs. F.R. Johnston, Guelph, Nr & Mrs. C. McLarty,Hamilton, and Mr.
& Mrs. James McIntosh, Guelph Township. etc down into the 5th
Archibald and Catherine's family:
1.Euphemia m John McLarty - they had 8 girls and 5 boys; 1.
Flora m. John Ord. Their daughter Janetta married A. Gilmour. Their
daughter Kathleen married W. Mooney. Their daughter was Jacqueline Mooney;
2. Flora married Peter Stewart, son of John on front 2 lot 11.
3.James m. Christina McLarty and who probably farmed the rear lot,
4. Charles d. 1874 age 47;
6. Malcolm January 1879 age 24 married Mary Petty, age 18, daughter of
David Petty and Mary Ord.
7. Alexander b, 1833 Hull Quebec m. Flora McAllister 1878 in Minto;
9. John who continued on the homestead.
McMasters went west and Ronald McCormick purchased the farm. He sold it to
James B. (Jimmie) King about 1905. King was a Remittance man. He
had been a merchant seaman since he was old enough to climb aboard ship.
He received inheritance money while docked in Montreal, read in Family Herald
or Farmers' Advocate of the farm and came on the train to purchase it.
He bought the farm with the spring crop planted, and when harvest came
the neighbors arranged a bee to help him take it in. (Wilkinsons,
McLartys, McKellars, McCormicks, Burmasters, and Fergusons and John
Barley-corn.) The final harvesting was a field of peas next to the
school (now west and overgrown). Jimmie, a driver and the democrat were
sent to town to replenish the liquor stock. On route home a barrel fell off
and they couldn't reload it. A scout was sent to find them. The teacher
closed the school. (Neil McCormick watched it all and told the story.) The
racing wagons would be hastily loaded with a few bundles of peas and speed
back to the barn for their drivers to quaff their share. Some wag
entwined the nearby hay rake times in the rope that drew up the slings and
before the unsteady driver of the team pulling the rope could be halted the
hayrake was at the peak of the barn rom whence if fell with an almighty crash.
Jimmy with his money was a target for itinerant salesmen and had been sold an
"unbreakable stove and a set of cast-iron frying pans. already the
owner of 2 stoves, the harvesters were invited to break the unbreakable stove
so Jimmie could get his money back. Frying pans couldn't do nor could
Sandy "The Rabbit" Wilkinson step dancing on its top. The
brawny arms of some of Killean's tug of war team soon reduced it to a pile of
junk however. Thanks to the call of darkness and the need to do chores
at home, the harvesters departed. Never a farmer, Jimmie was very soon back to
the sea ad ships. He retired to live with the Burmasters on lot 8 after
sailing for many years on the S.S. Robin Hood, whose mercantile wanderings had
carried him to many parts of the world. His cockney accented "Ah
ben der" was his answer to many a geographical question. His
retirement saw a new generation of young people to indulge in fun at his
1923 R. Burmaster
1950 M. Bauman
Bennetts lived there in the 70's
Angus Blue occupied the lot first. A relative of his, Peter Blue had
been one of the survey gang headed by David Gibson and both took up tracts.
George Page,who was probably from Quebec, was the first settler, and he kept
the first tavern.& was a miller. The 1851 census described Page as a
Canadian, Catholic age 27 with his 29 year old Irish wife Ellen, and Canadian
born children Anne age 7, Stephen age 1 and a 20 year old labourer, Erial Page
Angus Blue carried on after Page, with tavern and hotel as well as being a
miller. The tavern and adjoining log buildings were a few hundred feet west of
the stone house Angus Blue, d 1864, is buried almost opposite the Thomson plot
at Killean cemetery.
Wm. Blue also purchased lot 13 conc. 1. Later he purchased lot 16 conc. 2. He
was step son of Neil McPhatter. He was the communities's first carpenter. He
lived near the lake. d. Apr. 15 1871. His brother Angus who ran the hotel
after Page, later lived F2 L16; Donald was R2 L16 . Janet m. John Martin and
Margaret m. James McPhatter. Grace Blue m. Malcolm Smith and daughter Grace
who m. Wm. Grey of Puslinch. William Grey was born in Quebec. His parents were
Wm and Ann Grey. He was age 38 in 1865 when he married Grace Smith, age 20 or
30. She was born in Toronto, the daughter of Malcolm Smith and Grace Blue.
This from early assessment records, and Crieff Parish Register. Willie Blue's
cure for getting butter was to take a forked ash and stir the cream with one
switch and thrash the cow with the other.
J. Oakham was the next owner. By 1875 Donald Ferguson c1831-1891 , native of
Strathspey had a store and post office. Donald Ferguson m. Isabel
Marshall 1840-1908 Puslinch born; Fergusons came to Puslinch in 1857. Married
in 1863. 1867 resident Owned lot 9 C 1 and lot 11 RG Socially Mr. Ferguson was
a most entertaining companion, possessed of a wide range of general
information, and a good grasp of public affairs, gathered in his travels, and
by reading, which were combined with the humor and impulsiveness
characteristic of the Highlander. Owing to his knowledge of Muskoka, and
his capacity for conducting business, he was appointed by the Crown Lands
Department Inspector of Colonization Roads in that district. In politics
Mr. Ferguson was a pronounced Reformer, but the unbounded hospitality so
characteristic of him was extended to both parties during their campaigns.
1. Isabella 1862-1926
2. Marshall 1867-1933 m. Nellie Amy 196-1970 lived Killean
3. Willie 1870-1872
Tomb stone inscription:
Cursed be their bones
Unsound their rest
That o'er this plot of ground molest
Except they be my kinsmen near
They have no right to slumber here."
3. Jennie 1875 -1908
4. Maggie 1882-1949 m. John H. Tait of Lakeview. She had 2 daughters,
Belle Mary & Elsie, who by 1983 weighed 250 lbs and were living in
Toronto; bur Killean
5. Mary 1866-1941 m. Neil Wilkinson
6. Ann(ie) Avon 1872-1906 m. Richard .W Ball c 1896 Died of pneumonia bur
1. Harold b c1897
2. Maggie 1899-1981
3. William b c1904
7. Donald c.1877 was in Weyburn 1905; Williston ND
Donald Sr’s brother Lewis c1848- took up his brother's business m.
Neil McCormick's daughter Jean; moved to Galt where he was a merchant.
Family of Marshall Ferguson 1867-1933
1. Bella Galt
1923 M. Ferguson
Bob Barber bought the property (had it in 1950) and the barn burned.
Archibald Thompson, a native of Killean, Kintyre, came to Canada in 1830
and took up Lot 10, front and rear. In 1831 his father, James Thomson came to
Puslinch with six sons settled on this farm. This family all died in the prime
Family of James and Betsy McPhatter Thomson
1. Archibald 1806-1862 Killean
2. Donald 1810-1843 or 44 Killean
3. Neil 1812-1844; settled on lot 6 conc 1 but died.
4. Malcolm 1830-1834 The cemetery was created for his burial
5. James 1814-1840 Killean
7. Mary 1816 m. in Dakota
6. Angus 1818-1852; later settled lot 14 front Gore
7. Barbara blind, m. Angus Gilchrist; they lived at east corner of farm
1. Jimmy (Gun) watchman Galt Main & Beverley
2. Johnny b c 1853 m. cousin Morton, London
3. Little Archie Dakota
John Gilchrist, age 80, wrote Col. Maclean May 10, 1933, that he left
Killean in 1866. He wrote of being at John Thomsons, and of John Thomson
singing in Gaelic probably at Killean school. I assume J. Thomson was his
first cousin. He says J. Thomson later attended J.K. Smith's church in Galt as
3 of his married daughters were living near Galt. See below.
John Thomson 1867 resident, still there 1875. 1885 Charles Brado.
John Gilchrist 1854-1944 purchased the farm, married Eliza Ann
Paddock,1857-1952, daughter Thomas. He also owned lot 11; he was County
Commissioner and Council member in 1896; Reeve in 1901-02; was known as Yorkie;
Their children were
1. Thomas John 1888-1973
2. Charlotte 1891-1952
3. Katherine 1898-1945
This family left the farm in 1913
Kreugers, related to Schamburgs lived on it. They may have worked for John
Gilchrist. Their son Chris m. Jane Paddock Their son John had a
son Philip (Clyde) whose daughter m. Lewis McDonald. Schnieders also
lived there in the 1880s.
1923 W. Stenael
1950 Edward Feick
Stan and Gary Collins built a new home in the 70s, and the Richardsons did
likewise on the west side adjacent to the cemetery.
Neil Wilkinson, father of Mrs. Peter Gilchrist had his blacksmith's forge on
the corner of this lot. He and his family moved on to Minto.
Little John Thomson b c 1808 - cousin of Archibald on lot 10, took lot 11.
Family of Little John m. Janet (Betsy) McCormick b c 1811
1. Betsy m. Richmond Ayr
2 Jane b c 1840 m. Bill Scott lot 10 Rear Gore
3 Janet b c 1943
3. Katie b c 1845 m. Carrick (lot 6 RG?)
4 Bella b c 1847 m. George Taylor
5.Barbara b c 1848 m. Jim Blacklock lot 6
6.Christie b c 1849 m.in Dakota
7. Mary m. Morton
9. Neil 1859
10. Johnnie 1857; he may have m. Margaret Campbell
Thomsons moved to Hespeler before they left for Dakota where John could voice
his ideas more freely.
Later, Hugh Dunbar lived there. From Scotland, he was 56 in the 1851 census,
and his wife Jane, also from Scotland was 54. Their children included
Margaret, age 18, Jane, age 16, Hugh age 14, and Alexander age 12.
They also had a daughter, Isabelle c1838-1894 m. Wm. Ross c1823-1906 in
1851 and a daughter who m. Donald Blair.
By 1871 William Kerr 1867 resident husband of Mary Thomson, dau of Big
John; in 1877 Alexander (Sandy) Kerr there m. either Sarah or Peggy Thomson of
1. William Kerr m. Mary Thomson dau. Big John
2. Sandy m. Bannantyne
3. son m. McBain
4. Daughter m. Joseph Steele
By 1871 1879-80-85 James Steele, who later sold and moved to F7; James Steele
died while he and his wife were visiting their sons in Saskatchewan
1. James continued to farm on the F7 after his father died
2. William went to Sceptre, Sask
3. Mitchell " " "
4. Annie 1878-1945 m. Thos Paddock 1864-1922
5. Frank Galt
6. Joseph m Kerr daughter
1906 John Gilchrist owned it
also Wm. Miller
1906 John Gilchrist and Jacob Cooper's property. 1923 C. Bond
By 1920 & 1923 Christopher Bond, son of John Bond. He bought from
Moses Unger.. Chris Bond's only daughter Elizabeth m. Robert W. Farquhar of
Kitchener in 1933.
1951 Grand River Conservation Authority (Bond Tract). The Galt Creek which
runs through the Bond Tract, drains a large area of environmentally sensitive
swamp land. It came under agreement with Dept Lands and Forests in
1965.The water fountain alongside the board walk is fed from an artesian
well. The well was drilled for the Regional Municipality of
Waterloo as part of an area survey of the water table. It was drilled in 1978
to a depth of 196 feet, the 136 if which are into bedrock. Deer are
common on the Bond Tract and the adjacent swamp land. Deer tracks are often
seen along an internal road that can be used for hiking and cross-country
David Gibson reserved it (perhaps Angus McDonald lived there)
Kenneth 1814-1900 & Margaret Mitchell 1814-1900 McLennan of Inverness who
immigrated in 1832 and m. 1837, may have been on R 12 Con 1; were here in
1850's, 60's, and were part of the West Puslinch congregation. Later they went
to S. Dumfries, Galt.
Alexander b. 1838
Janet b. 1840 m. Math. Sheady d. 1923 Bur Mountview Galt
John b. 1843
Jane b. 1845 m.J.Campbell
Margaret b. 1847 m. Thos Whaley d. 1901
Angus b. 1849
Mary b. 1851 m Finlay Smith
Kenneth b. 1853-1954 m 1895 Isabella Milne from Campbellford in Seymour Twp.
They had one son Lindsay, a druggist in Hamilton.
James b. 1855-1923 m Mary Bonnar Children Wm b.1885 and Arthur J b.1887. James
a baker in Galt.
Donald (Daniel) b.1859-1902 m. Annie Gertrude Ramsay. He was a baker.
Kenneth was b. Puslinch gore. He was 12 years old when he left the family home
to live with Andrew Brydon, a Nichol twp farmer; stayed with them till age 27
when he took up a Nichol farm. Five years later he went to Galt, in
partnership with two brothers in a bakery business for 4 years. Then he bought
in Guelph Twp and sold 1919 to Tom Gilchrist. His wife's niece was Mabel
Stewart of WC Historical Society. He had a testament given him by John
McGregor as a prize for being the best in saying the questions of the shorter
catechism April 22, 1865. (John McGregor was a preacher as well as teacher; he
held prayer meetings at church members homes.) He also had "The Scgikars'
Spelling Assistant" of Buntin Bros Younge St. 1863, Hugh Ross and
Mrs. John Gilchrist were his school mates.
1877, 1885 in W. Armour's name
1906 Mrs. John Paddock
1923 G.M. Paddock
1950 R.E. Mullder
Perhaps McNeil was a squatter
Andrew Gibson conducted a saw mill here for several years. 4 different
sawmills operated on the lot at one time or other. From J. McMillan letter,
Andrew Gibson later built a steam sawmill because lumber was more easily
obtained here. In 1866 he sold it to John Scott
In the 1851 census
Andrew Gibson was described as a lumber merchant, Scotland born, age 32, with
wife Charlotte (Ramsay) age 30. Their children included Jane age
6, Robert age 3, and Anne age 1 in a 1 Story, 1 Family Log House
These must have been workers at the sawmill
Douglas McCunchy Labourer Scotland Free C.Canada age30
Hugh McClaine Labourer Scotland Free C.Canada age 35
Thomas Ray Lawyer Scotland Free C.Canada age 23
George Reeves Engineer Fireman England Methodist age 26
David Gillis Labourer Scotland Free C.Canada age29.
1875-6 M. McLennan labourer registered.
1877 A. Buchanan had the north section on the creek (probably a sawmill)
1877 John Scott had the farm
James Scott, native of the historic and fertile vicinity of Dunkeld and
Blairgowie, Perthshire, came to Puslinch in 1857 with his son John, and
daughter Mrs. Alex McKellar, now of Manitoba. At some point, John Scott
separated a lot for his sister Elizabeth who was married to Alex McKellar Her
son Duncan went west first and settled on land that was chosen for a town
site. Also had son James
1906 Matthew Scott
1923-1950 J.H. Sherk
Neil McPhatter reserved this lot 1832 for son Matthew. They were living
here in 1871.
Matthew McPhatter Dead - a brainy brawny old highlander passes to his rest: A
tall stately and majestic old Highlander, and as kindly as he was brawny,
passed away at 3:15 this morning c 1901 in the person of Matthew McPhatter,
near Clyde. By his death Puslinch and Beverly lost a pioneer of whom
they might well be proud. He settled in Puslinch, but had lived so close to
the Beverly border, and in fact breathed his last in Beverly, that the latter
registers a joint claim with Puslinch to the grand old man. He was born in
Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1815, and accompanied his father and brothers
to Canada in 1831. After a year spent in Toronto, the McPhatters pushed on
through the then wilderness to Puslinch, where Matthew's remaining days nearly
70 years may be said to have been passed. As has been intimated, he was a big
brawny man, as is each of his stalwart sons after him, and in passing
from this world to the next he leaves as a legacy a reputation for physical
and mental prowess, which his friends will ever cherish. His venerable wife
survives at 78, and ten of twelve children are living - Archie near Clyde; Dr.
McPhatter, Post Graduate Hospital NY; Matthew, Klondike; James, on the
homestead; Mrs. Paddock, Mrs. James Cook, Mrs. John Scott, and Mrs. John
McAninch, Puslinch; and Charlotte and Jessie, at home. The deceased was a
life-long Reformer, never voted any other ticket, and one of the founders of
the present Knox church. The funeral took place from his late residence lot 12
conc 10 Beverly to Killean Cemetery.
Family of Matthew McPhatter & Jane nee Ramsay
1. Grace 1843-1913 m. Richard Paddock 1829-1895 lived lot 16 rear 1st
2. Christina 1845-1921 m. James Cook 1841-1923 lived lot 15 front Gore
3. Margaret 1847-1916 m. John Scott lived l. 14 Rear Gore
4. Archie 1849-1918 m. Ellen Goodfellow Fergus; Gore Bev. Clyde
5. John b c 1850
5. Neil Surgeon NY Calgary WWI
6. Jennie 1853-1932 m. John McAninch lived lot 21, front 1st
7. Matthew 1857- Salesman travelled letters; WWI
8. Norman 1859- died age 17 of back injury
9. Charlotte 1861-1935 bachelor
10. James 1865-1945 bachelor
11. Jessie 1866-1945 bachelor
Family later was on the 10th of Beverly where Jessie who was blind and
Charlotte were the last to farm.
1875 John Scott; possibly the house was on the 13/14 line
1885 J. Scott who had 400 acres from gore to the second.
First sawmill was on this lot
1896 to Matthew Scott
1911 to Margaret Scott Fixter
1906 to Henry Fixter
1923 H Fixter later Scott Fixter and son Clarence
Neil McPhatter elder purchased it at Oct. 1831 sale in York; came 1832.
N Martin Paddock had the receipt for the down payment Neil McPhatter paid on
lot 15 concession 1, 200 acres, dated October 22, 1832 (Puslinch Pioneer April
1977) donated land for first 1840 church (built using whip-saw, in east
field). There was a small sawmill here at the time. 1906 Atlas says they had
the first horse, which they brought as a colt from Toronto. Neil
emigrated with wife Grace (McKinnon) Blue, her children, and Matthew's sons:
Matthew, John, Neil, David and Hector who died on the ship. Grace died
and Neil m. Mary Reid in 1846.
John Paddock, son of Capt 1823-1899 m. Mary Jane Martin 1840-1924
1. Wm. Henryc1862 of Winnipeg
2. John and 3 FrankOak River MB
4. Sidney Biggar SK
5. Blanche c1871-1920 m. Henry Argue Oak River MB
6. George 1875-1854 inherited lot 15; only son who stayed in Puslinch
7. BenjaminDavidson SK
8. AlfredBiggar SK 1967 lived in Chillawack
George M. Paddock 1875-1954 m. Janet Jamieson 1873-1935
1. Wilma c 1906-April 13, 1993. M Rev Dewey Stinson
2. Lillian m. 1. Dick Chester; 2. Calvin Evans
3. Martin 1910-1985 m. 1 Olive Patterson 1909-1949 continued on farm and his
son Donald also farms it.
Alex McNaughton from Crown in Oct. 1831 sale with rear of 1st. Cleared
45 acres by 1840. McKenzie says Duncan McNaughton took it up. Duncan
McNaughton d. 31 July, 1843 age 44 at Puslinch native of Argyleshire
About 1840 Capt. Thos Paddock (son of John) July 10,1792-1881 bought front and
rear. wife Sara Phillips 1790 June 1873. Married June 1 1818
Their family, from 1851 census:
George J. March 27, 1819-1881
John age 26
Richard age 21 rear lots 15 & 16 lived 16
Jane age 12 m Henry Bond
George John William Paddock March 27 1819 England-1881 succeeded to farm
m. 1. Catherine Bond 1861 of Beverley
1.*Catherine m. Innes Toronto (There was an Innes family at Kirkwall)
daughter Edith 1852-1943 m. Edward Becker
daughter Marjorie m. Worseley
m. 2 Jane Malloy
2. William settled c1862 lot 12 , m 1898 Janet McCormick At school at
Killean in 1878.
3. Thomas c1855 on homestead
4. George c1868 Hespeler
5. James c1870 NWT
6. John NWT
7. Joshua c1872 latterly farmed R.R. 5 Galt. (St. George Rd.) bachelor.
8. Josiah c1872 NWT
9. Archibald c 1874
10. Sarah b c1864
11. Harry of Swan River Man. (Not mentioned in a published account of the
family, but is in Joshua's obituary.
1906 owned by Richard Paddock; then Fred; 1923 owned rear lot also.
no building left. A barn was destroyed by tornado in 1952. Owned by
Stewart Paddock into present.
Archie McShannock reserved lot 17 for his brother Alexander
Alexander McShannock m. Betty McNaughton F1 L16 His name is in the church
record. They went to Wawanosh. Archie McShannock & Isobelle were
remembered from the early days It was under-stood that Archie went to
Minto. Donald McShannock d.1818-1853 age 65 and Catharine McKinven his wife,
age 54 in 1853, bur. Killean
Richard Bond the younger, son of Richard & Catherine Mallett 1867
resident; still had it 1875. Erected the present buildings from that
era. From the 1851 census Richard, was 30, and his wife Maria was 26. Their
children included George, age 7, Lewesa, age 4, and Susanna age 2.
1885 R. Bond. 1906 Wm. Bond held both this and lot 18. Wm married twice, the
second time to Annie Walters. They raised Beatrice Paddock and gave her their
name. Wm Bond died 1941 in his 73rd year. Later the farm sold
several times. George Paddock had it in 1950. By the late '80s Carol and John
Poster bought it. Sold 1996 to Sunrise Equestrian Stables
1832 Malcolm Smith
James McPhatter, son of Neil Elder was there 1854; subscribed to church.
His wife was Margaret Blue. From the 1851 census, he was 34, his wife 26, and
their children: Grace age 3, Catherine age 1, Charles age 6. The parish
register indicates the baptisms of Charles b. 1845, Neil b. 1847,
Grace b. 1849. They went to Berlin Michigan in 1865.
By 1877 Richard Bond of lot 17 owned it. 1885 R. Bond. 1923 W. Bond; 1950
Finally the Posters sold a lot at the east edge, and the Robsons built a home.
Later a house was erected on the remainder of the lot.
Lot granted to Col. Wm. Kingsmill, barrister at law in Toronto and his son
From an essay project initiated by Col. Maclean about 1929, an 11 year old
Crieff student wrote that the lot was first owned by a gentleman named Mr.
Kingsmill, who bought it from the Crown in 1832, but he never lived or did any
work on it.. Mr. Malcolm McPhatter bought it from Mr. Kingsmill in 1832, and
gave 5 shillings for his bargain. He built a log house and barn, but shortly
after the first house was built it got burned so he had to build again. This
one was east of where the stone house was built. He was a blacksmith. He built
a blacksmith shop on the farm, and shod both horses and oxen. He made the
shoes, and also the nails to fasten them on, and he had to use dried hemlock
bark for the fire in his forge. This was the first blacksmith shop in Puslinch.
His father, Neil McPhatter who was responsible for starting the first log
church in West Puslinch which opened in 1840, lived his last days and died in
his son's house on this farm. Mr. McPhatter cut most of the bush, and broke up
16 acres with oxen for fall wheat. He owned the first horse in this district,
which he brought as a colt from Toronto. He sold out in 1865 to David Ricker
for $1800. This was said to be the first auction sale in this district.
Mr. McPhatter moved north after they sold the lot. 1867 resident David Ricker
Mr. Ricker grew the first buck-wheat in this part of the country. Most of his
neighbours never saw buck-wheat growing before this. And then he left in 1873.
The next owner was Darious Bethune. He paid the sum of $1750. Mr.
Bethune worked the farm for a few years, but he never lived on it. He was the
first around this part of the country to cut his crop with a reaping machine.
The reaper was made in St. George. A man rode on the back and pushed out the
grain with a wooden fork. In Dec. 1875 Mr. Bethune sold the farm to Donald
McCormick for $2,000. Mr. McCormick had the pine stumps pulled and built
into fences. He also built the stone house and bank barn that are on the farm
now, and he lived on it till he died. when his family were leaving they had an
auction sale. It was about 65 years after the first one. No one was present at
the first one that was at the second sale. McCormicks sold the farm to John
Sawyer for $5.550 cash in February 1927.
1832 Malcolm McPhatter’s first wife was Barbara Patton. Second was
Catherine Graham. The charivari for the second marriage was heard in Aberfoyle.
From the 1851 census: Malcolm from Scotland age 46, his wife Barbara age38 and
family, Neal 15, Mary age 13, William age 11,
Archibald age 9, Anne age7, Barbara age 5, Flora age 3, Malcolm age 2 .
1865-73 Ricker Family. Names Wm, David, John, Christopher; first
auction in community was when they left for Muskoka.
1873-75 Darius Bethune worked it. Did not live here. His wife was
a daughter of Louis Gregor of Crieff.
1875 Donald McCormick later m. Kate McGeachy His brother Jack
erected blacksmith shop on site of previous one, 1880-1919. Donald’s
daughters, Jane, Cassie and Helen grew up here. They moved to Galt after their
father died and they sold the farm, 1927.
1927-1946 Jack Sawyer m. Jean Cowan paid $5,500. Daughter Annie
1946 Jack Huffmon; wife Florence Robinson sons Donald and Douglas. Jack
died late in 1993, and the sons carried on.
1. West lot off lot 20 severed. Big John Thomson bought the farm for his
father Neil Thomson Fordyce the weaver lived on this lot in 1854. He erected a
log house which was still there in the 1940's. In 1881 he sold the west
lot to Malcolm McCormick. Malcolm Sailor McCormick 1815-1885 m
1.Catherine Wilkinson m 2.Nellie Carrothers Gibson. He built the frame
house down the hill from the road at the top of the hill. (The yellow roses
used to grow near the top). It was built there "so that every 'keeley'
going along the road would not look in the window." In 1884 he signed it
over to his wife. 1885 Malcolm died. Nellie and her brother Willie Carruthers
lived there until 1908. Willie went back to Scotland. Nellie taught Mrs.
McAllister the steps of Scotch Reel 1910 William and Eliza McCormick retired
there. Wm. died 1911, but Eliza lived there till her death in 1930.
She left the property to Jane, Cassie and Helen McCormick, who sold it
to Jack Sawyer. The house burned in 1931 when George and Edna Paddock were
living there. The property was vacant until Julkes built a new house about
1977. Frank Mayor was next owner.
2. East portion of lot 20: Neil Marshall owned the farm 1875-80.
Dougald McPhee m. Flora McLelland of Uist log house on this lot, and
barn east of the old one. Dougald's ancestry was as follows:
Dougald McPhee, son of Goliath m Flora McLellan Peggy m.Big John
McDonald, and they had.a son Angus whose wife was also a Newstead.
Peggy’s sister m.McGeachy. There were at least three McGeachy boys,
Archie, Johnnie and Dougall; one m. a Newstead, sister of Alex McGregor's
wife. Angus McPhee's wife was a Newstead, possibly a daughter of one of the
above sisters. The McDonalds lived c. 2 lot 11.
Ann Jane Thomson did not marry and her brother built a house for her on this
farm, There were stories about her; she probably suffered from dementia, and d
Later owners were John McAninch, 1923 Duncan McLean and 1946 Jack Huffmon.
Later it was severed into 10 acre lots.
Neal Thompson from Scotland age 75 in 1851 census with wife Mary age 73,
daughter Jane born Scotland, age 37, and son Archibald age 29 His son
Archibald Thomson m. Janet Wilkinson, who worked for the family shortly
after she emigrated. He had the first stone house in this area
built in 1855. Angus McDonald Crieff was the mason, and Peter Lamont (Lake)
the carpenter. They farmed for a while, then moved to Waterloo, then to a farm
at Arthur. Their family:
1. Neil 1854
2. David 1856
3. Archibald 1861-1937
4 .John 1863-1938 Souris Manitoba
5. Mary m. Robert Mitchell. Mary died in 1943.
1867 McCrones lived there; names Mary, Agnes, James
1877-1885 N. Marshall
1906 John McAninch m. Jane McPhatter 1853-1932
1. Hugh m. Margaret Cowan
2. Nelson 1880-1961 m. Marie Jamieson
3. Jane Ann 1882-1957 m. Fred Roszell
4. John James m.
5. Matthew went to Kindersley SK
6. Charlotte (Lottie) m. Alex Harbottle
The McAninches retired to Morriston in 1915
1915 Duncan McLean (1861-1941) m. Christina McMillan (1860-1940)
1. Charles 1895-1964
2. Archibald CRT,GEF 1896-1930
4. Duncan 1908-1944
5. Kate m. Wes Main of Ayr
6. Christina 1902-1981
Charles, Duncan and Christina succeeded. Finally Christy burned the barn and
tried to burn the house in 1948.
Jack Huffmon bought the farm, and it was sub-divided after 1950. Jim and Jean
Barber bought the lot with the house. Their sons John and Paul grew up there.
By 1990 Bert and Helen Stephenson were living in the east lot, and the Mittons
on the west corner.
Peter Diamond. From England, age 40 in 1851 census, with wife Elizabeth from
England age 33, and children: John age 17, Sarah age15, Mary age,
Elizabeth age 10, Ellen age 8, Peter age 7. Jane age 6, Joanna age 3, Sophia
age 2, Catherine age 1.
Charles Mickle managed the sawmill.
1851 Census: There is at present about 1000 logs on the premises.
And its admirably surrounded by pine forest, about 5 miles long and 3 miles
wide. (Martin Cantwell, enumerator. Mickle also had a mill on lot 26, conc. 7.
On this lot there was steam power, an upright saw; lumber for the new houses
and barns came from here. It operated in 50' and 60's. There were houses for
the workers, and McCormicks lived here for about 6 years, 1859-65. There may
have been a dancing school in one of them. Mickle purchased pines for $1.00
each. The Millman name is also associated with the lumber business here. 1867
resident Conrad Hosfield.
By 1877 James E. McPherson (Black Jim) 1833-1915 (M. 1864) and his wife, Ann
(Miller ) McDonald.(1841-1923) His son Angus (1881-1957) continued to 1926,
when his sister Jenny died. He went to Toronto with Mansons. Children in
the McPherson family were:
1. Angus 1881-1957
2. Isa (Bella) (1865-1944) m. Duncan Manson
3. Ellen , Mrs. Robert McIntyre Whitewood Sask.
4. Catherine Mrs. John Hood, Sheffield still alive age 87 in 1963 retired at
daughter’s in Galt
1. Anne m Dean Scott of Galt
2. James Served in WWII with RCRs
5. Margaret Mrs. Reuben Wedge of Kirkwall
Mr. & Mrs. Jake Crowder took it over until the 1940's. 1950 V. Hunt
This lot was squatted on by Donald Potach who had a shanty and later
disappeared. Neil Thomson was early settler; His sons, John and Archibald
settled here too.
Neil. (1774-1862) Neil's wife was Mary McLean, sister to Hector McLean.
This proposed family may have errors.
1. Big John 1800 m. Ann Campbell lot 23 1867 resident
2. Neil m. Jessie McCaig d. young
3. Isobel 1807-1883 m. John Marshall lot 33, 34, rear 7th son Alexander of
Cass City MI
4. Archibald 1807-1903 m. Janet Wilkinson
5. Mary m. McLaren lived Brock Rd Y
6. Peggy 1811-
7. (Ann) Jane b. 1813 bachelor. Arch built a house for her on lot 23
8. Sarah 1819 m John Millman
Big John Thomson 1800-1880 who married Ann Campbell 1840, raised their family
here. The pine log cabin was built in 1845; Peter Lamont was carpenter; the
logs were hewed. Angus McDonald was the mason. Thomson gave the
lot for the school. Family of John and Ann:
1.Bella 1845 m. John McLennan; m. in 1867 and went to Bruce Co., then to
2. Mary 1848-1934 m Wm Fury, NWMP; They retire to Maple and are buried
3. Neil 1851-1868 died appendicitis
5.Mary b 1848 m Wm Kerr They lived on her father's lot 11 for several
years after he had moved to lot 23. She d. 1934. Daughter Annie.
6.Ann Jane m. Lewis Gregor She died about 1935 age 83 in Galt
Survived by son Harry Gregor of Port Huron Michigan
7. Alexander Sandy 1863-1918 succeeded to farm. He was a recluse.
1923 W. Crowder ; Col. McLean purchased the property. His employees lived in
the cabin. Emslies, Frank, Priscilla and children Ken, Irene, Tom, Violet;
c.1941-43 Reynolds parents, Donna Tennant, Leone & Abram
Col. Maclean left this property along with his others, to the
Presbyterian Church in Canada. Now the cabin is The House of the Prophet.
The School Master Walker who lived at the school in 1851 was from Ireland age
25. With wife, age 23, and their children, George age 3 and Rebecca age 1.
John McDiarmid 1803-1898 emigrated from Perthshire with his wife Margaret
Stewart 1805-1890 and the Stewart family. They took up lot 24 adjacent to the
Stewarts lot 25. McKenzie says he was reared amidst the romantic scenery for
which the vicinity of Loch Rannock, Perthshire is famed. Here he was born in
1803. In Scotland he married Margaret Stewart, and soon after left for New
York, where he remained for a few years, coming to Puslinch in 1833 with Allan
Stewart. He purchased lot 25 front of con. 1 which he soon sold and purchased
lot 24 front of 1 on which he lived until his death in 1898. He was a member
of Duff's session about 1842. Being trained amid the strong religious
influences that characterized many families in his native land in those days,
he always manifested an earnest active interest in the religious life of the
congregation and in his family lived the consistent life becoming a
Christian. 1867 resident. John & Archibald . His family: Mrs. Donald
McKenzie, Bruce Co; 6 sons, Duncan 1837-1855 and Alex 1839-1871; Donald
Dumfries; Allan with his family was well known in Aberfoyle and vicinity in
recent years, but is now in NW; Archibald 1846-1935 and John in Puslinch. John
who owns the homestead as well as lot 20, front 7, and resides on the former
is an esteemed successful citizen, engaged in mixed farming. He married Agnes
Mason 1860-1920; 1923 J. Berth; McDairmid family is Ida M and Margaret E.
Their children were
1. Margaret 1835
2. Duncan 1837-1855
3. Alexander 1839-1871
4. Archibald 1841 Kinloss
5. Donald 1843 Galt
6. Allan 1845 m. Margaret Aberfoyle & later NW
7. John 1847 m. Ida Mason
8. Hugh 1849 m. Maggie Nichol
John 1847-1935 and Ida Mason raised their two daughters on this farm.
Ida m. Roy Coburn, Valens
Margaret m. Jack Robson
John Berta 1923 owned the property, then Col. Maclean purchased it and left it
to the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Dove ladies lived in the big
house during summers, until the former Sec. of the Colonel died. They
gave their Dove name to the house. The house of the Shepherd was built
for the herdsman in the late 1930s. For a time it was rented to the Crieff
School Teacher, Leeta Horning with husband Mel and their children Margaret,
Bob and Ted. (1946-1950)
Allan Stewart, son of Alexander Stewart of Perth, Scotland, came to this lot
in 1833 with his sister Margaret and her husband John McDiarmid, who settled
Lot 24. Duncan stoned McCormick's well. For Donald see lot 20 Rear
Gore. John and Mrs. Robert Valens came in 1844. Parents came 1853 with
rest of family to lot 21 RG (Hugh, Mrs. Lochiel Cameron, and Janet (See
lot 26 Gore) 1885 Estate of J. Stewart
Allan Stewart sold 4 acres 1862 to Presbyterian congregation for a manse.
He built a store at the corner and the first P.O. was there. By 1877
Hugh had the property. Contractor for the manse was Wm Stratton sr.
John Stewart m. Elizabeth McPherson of l. 27. They lived on this property as
well, near the back. 1867 resident. After John and his wife died the
family moved to the west. Mary McPherson McCaig remembered going there
to play with her cousins. She was always warned not to eat, but she remembered
having delicious roasted pork. Probably this was after her aunt Elizabeth had
1. Donald b July 14, 1851 m. Mary Booth in 1886 Vancouver (Mrs. Roach was a
2. Annie Oct 15 1853 m. James Peebles Went from Strabane to Montana
3 Alexander b. 1858 m. Mary Eliz Code Qu'Appelle 1894 went to Lilyfield
4 Elizabeth b. 20-07-1859 m. Fairbairn Montana
5 Angus b. 05-07-1861 m. McNaughton
6. Allan c1863
6. Margaret b. 23-11-1865 m. Newitt
7. Allan c1865
8. James c 1867 went to California
9 John b. 02-08-1869 farmed Qu'Appelle
10 Duncan c 1873 d. Montana
In 1906 James Riddick 1849-1937 had the farm and lived between the manse and
the McKay house; retired to house across from D. McDonalds. James
(Jimmie) played checkers with Harold Kerns when Harold was a young boy living
on the hill. His wife Janet Charters (1849-1909) Their daughters, Mary Ann
1884 1970 m. John Scott and Jane married his brother.
James Hollinger m. 1. Stewart, sister to Mrs. Duncan McDonald; lived in the
manse. His family
3. Kate m. Dan McDonald
Jams Hollinger’s second wife asked Queen Stewart if she should
marry and she was advised "You aren't very good looking, you'd
4. Ella m. Vern Wheeler
5. Jack n. Jessie McAllister
1923 R. McKay had the house at the corner.
Alexander Fraser m. Mary emigrated to this property with his mother, Mrs.
Murdock Fraser, (who died 1861) from Loch Broom. Their children, were:
1. Murdock d. in Galt
2. William m. Annie Reay
Mrs. E.R. Grove
Mrs. G.R. Bruce
3. Alexander m. Isobel McPherson
4. Christina m. Alex McIntosh
5. Abigail m. Hugh McPherson lot 22 RG then Bruce Co
They lived on the property for a time before they moved to Galt.
Alexander Fraser donated land for Church, and probably sold the lot for the
house east of the cemetery
7. Mary spinster d. 1873 bur Crieff.
The 1851 census gives a picture of the household:
Alexander Fraser Jr. was farming the property, b. Scotland, age 36. His wife
Isabella McPherson was 37. Their children were Murdock age 6. Anne age 3,
Abigail age 2,
In a second log house on the property lived Alexander’s mother Abigail, a 70
year old widow
her daughter Mary age 40, with her daughter, Christina age 20.
Alexander McIntosh c 1831 m. Christina Fraser c 1831 and they continued on the
farm. Their family:
1. William c1859 lived lot 27 Rear Gore.
2. Donald 1855
3. Flora 1858
5. Alex m.
6 Murdock c 1866
7. Katie c 1869
8. Abigail 1861
Katie and Abbie spent their senior days in the small stone house, which is now
owned by Presbyterian Church. Mary McPherson rented, later Alex and Florence
McConnel lived there while working at Crieff Hills, then Taylors.
On the Crieff corner, was Christopher Moffat's blacksmith's shop. The
1881 census indicates Chris Moffat 1824 with wife Christina 1831 with children
James 1860, Thos 1864, John 1866 and Christopher1868 .
Later Patterson's. Patterson names, John and George there 1879-80.
North of the hotel was Wm. McDonald's shoemaker shop. (He was there in 1871
& 1875 He had the stone house built and he is buried at Crieff 1901.
Possibly the son of Alex McDonald & Annie Meldrum (his mother lived with
him in 1871); his brother Robt went to Wiarton;
Charles Irwin and his family of Dean and Irene lived in the stone house in the
1920's. Then Col. McLean had the house refurbished and it was used as his
gardener’s residence. Frank and Betty Gartland were the last to occupy it in
that regard. Now a part of Crieff Hills, the house is rented.
John McLean was postmaster at Crieff in the 1860's. He and his wife, the
former Marion Currie, daughter of Curries on the second concession were living
in Morriston when their daughter Margaret was born in 1865. Their son
Donald claimed that he too was baptized by Rev. Maclean in 1867. Donald went
to Wakaw Sask where he was a miller. Former Ridgetown Mayor Donald John McLean
died 1941; he was born in Puslinch in 1855. Wife Catherine Mitton and two
On the corner was Jacob Kerracher's hotel, licensed in 1862. Kerracher
children’s names include Rosena and Mary and Henry. When the CPR was
being built in 1879, workmen boarded at the Crieff hotel. A memory was
recorded that on summer evenings during this time, 100 men might be seen on
the road at Crieff corner.
By 1854 the church was located where it is now, and east of it was the store,
occupied by Beckers.
Beckers were from Germany; Eliza Leydon was Henry's wife maiden name. She was
English. Chris Becker had hotel in Morriston and later Victoria and
Union in Guelph. Elijah 1860; Edward, father of Marjorie Worsley,
ranched s. of Lethbridge, married Edith Ennis; Their daughter Marjorie Worsley
Edward went to Klondike; then partner in a Mining Co. before ranching.
Mary m. Bond had son Dr. Ernest, Toronto. Charles Dr. Toronto; Richard went
west. There is a note in township council minutes that Henry Becker,
Crieff storekeeper was exempted his taxes in 1872 because his premises were
destroyed by fire on July 26. On an earlier occasion, Mr. MacRobbie was buying
gunpowder and as Mr Becker measured it into a bag, a spark from MacRobbie's
pipe ignited it. The resulting explosion caused both beards to be
Next owners were Maudie McCormick's mother/aunt, then Maudie. Then it was
sold, refurbished, Myers and many others have lived there.
Duncan and Katie Martin McAllister came to the farm property but the house
burned so they moved to the next lot 17 until the new one was built
1. Gordon m. Tena Elliott
2. Grace m. Jim Scott
1923 D. McAllister
Family of Gordan and Tena who grew up on the farm: Mary, Martin, Betty,
Delores, Roy and Barbara
Martin m. Barbara Kinnear, bought the farm from the estate. Their children who
grew up on the farm are Kevin, Roy and Judy. c 1995 Kevin built a house on the
sideroad on a severed lot. He & his family live there.
1877 Reays lived somewhere - 1. Isabella, 2. Eliza, 3, James 4 Annie m.
Roderick Baton (Rory Mount) m. Janet. Duncan McPherson later owned it. Kenneth
Cameron built a house and barn during his tenure in 1885.
Duncan McAllister rented it 1906 + for 3 years while he rebuilt house.
Charles Mast m. Annie Tennant were the next owners.. Their children: Jim
1925-1991 Jack m. Mural, Stan m. B. MacRobbie and Douglas m. Lois McCaig.
Their well was 33' deep; their lot 33 acres, and their dad earned $3.33 per
work period on the railway.
George and Dorothy Harris built new home. Children Chris, Deanna and David.
Larders owned one of these thirds for a time. Later R. Kerns. Lots on the hill
were severed, and homes built.
In the beginning Donald Bann McPherson lived on middle and east portions. He
had son Big Jim and daughters Jane, Sarah, and Ann who married McPherson.
Then it was split John McPherson taking the middle there 1885, Alfred Reid,
Russell Kerns owned it in 1950. Alex McPherson is associated with it. Pedersen
built a home there in the 50-60s and sold 1997.
East third. was owned by Alexander McPherson 1885. There were a
succession of families. James Riddick who d. 1937 retired there. Mrs. J.
Cameron lived there. Larders and Kubbes. Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth McDonald
retired there. 1950 Bob & Jeanette Shaw in the 1990's.
This was settled in 1841 by Robert Melvin, a native of Stranraer,
Gallowayshire, Scotland, whose wife was Janet Calderwood, a native of
Ayrshire. His family was 3 sons. Hugh,
who was 1867 resident:; Robert well-known as one of Guelph's most successful
and highly esteemed citizens and Archibald; and 3 daughters Mrs. Alex
McNaughton, of Guelph; Mrs. Wm McPhail and Miss Melvin, Guelph. Robert Hugh,
Archibald Melvin. Robert settled the front lot 28. His son was
Mayor of Guelph. From the 1851 census, Robert Melvin, from Scotland, age 67,
with wife Janet age 61, and their family, Jane age 40, Anne age 22,
Ellen age 20, Hugh age 33, Robert age 23, Archibald age 18
By 1867 into the eighties James Galloway m. by Rev. McLean
The grandparents are buried at Crieff. They were there 1885. The family
later moved to Brock Road. Children:
1. Thomas- his family: Alex, Orton, Will, Alice, Kenneth
2. David Ernest 1882: Ann, Elizabeth, Donald
David was a CPR Assistant VP by 1924
3. 1867 Margaret: Wilfred, Blake, Bina, Francis, dot
4. 1869 Frances: Allan, Herbert, Irene
5. Ethel: Olive
6. 1871 Elizabeth. Bannatyne: Elizabeth, Jean, James
7. Harvey : Evelyn, Rita, Harland, Melville, Marion
9. Ruth: Jim
Frederick Gregor's son Charles bought it. 1923 resident; Still in 1950
1 Donelda Mrs. Jim McDonald.
2. Gordon d age 73 in 1983 bur Crown
3. Katherine m. Campbell McKinnon
Bryce Burrows m. Anne Tweddle bought it and raised their family there
1997 Jack Mast bought it; Ann and Bryce severed a lot in east field and built
a new home.
Sandy Fraser settled it, then moved to second concession
Ira Heath US born, age 38, with wife Christina age 33, and family, from 1851
census, Levi age 14. Mary age 12, Elizabeth age 9 (later m J. Haines),
Angeline age 7, Lewis age 4, Abigail age 2
Ira Heath occupied the rear portion in 1867
Ira Heath died 1860 age 47 farmed lot 29, front first John Heath of
Stratford is a grandson of Lewis and Sarah Leslie ( a relative of Wm. Wade
Leslie) a son of Ira. Russell Linn, whose mother was Mary Heath, sister of
Lewis. They operated a lunch counter at Guelph Junction.
1877 W. Strachan
1875 80 85 Frederick Gregor
Then [or before?] the lot was split into West and East Halves
Because Andrew Stewart was on lot 29 in 1867 list.
Angus Fiddler McDonald occupied this part lot, in the 1860s, 70s. His family
1.Elizabeth 1848 m. Louis Gregor 1848.
Elizabeth and Lewis Gregor continued on the property until the Cowans bought
it.. Their family included Jane 1867 , Elizabeth 1869-1965 m John Martin, Mary
1873, Margaret and Lewis 1877.
2. Daughter m. Bill Galbraith
3. Daughter m. Darius Bethune
4 Margaret m Gunning; lived Niagara
Walter Cowan from across the road owned it back to 7th
1906 John Reid
1923 Penrice had this + the wedge.
1950 Richard McMillan e. half; R. Penrice W half
1877-85 W. Cowan
Heath names Lewis and Emma
1950 Richard McMillan
[Back to research menu]