As part of our ongoing mandate to not only preserve our heritage and history but also to make it accessible to the public we have created this online research portal. Below you will find a wealth of information on the history of Puslinch categorized for easy search. Simply choose a topic below to begin your search.
As the road allowance of the 2nd and 3rd concessions were hilly and rough, and the blind line between the front and rear lots of the 2nd was level, a road along this line running east and west was made, except where it detoured around the swamps. This road was long known by its original name, "The Accommodation Road."
Mr. Burke was the first settler, then J Nathanial Rudd c 1793 from England in the 1851 census with his wife Elmira c 1797 and family born England, Samuel c1829, James c 1830, and John c 1833 in a 1-Story, 1 Family Log House 1867 resident Ben Chester; Alex Newstead in 1875; his estate in 1885.1906 Alex McGregor on south 70 acres. Wm Eckstine on north 30 acres
Mr. Shelly was an early occupant. J. Barrett, succeeded by T. Barratt, 106 J Shantz
Thomas Collins; c 1807 from Ireland and his wife Anne (Kelly) born in King's County, Ireland in 1816. On the second of May 1834 her parents and the family sailed from Dublin in the William & Anne and arrived in Quebec in June. She married Mr. Collins in 1842 and they have occupied lot 4, 2nd concession. Mrs Collins has 10 children all living 1897. John c 1843, John, c 1844, Mary c 1845, Fanny 1846 and was the last to survive when she was 98, (She spent some years in the west, and Willmington Deleware. In 1925 she returned to Galt where she lived with her niece, Miss Frances Barratt), Margaret c 1847, Cathrine, c 1849 Their home was a 1 Story, 1 Family Log House Mrs. Collins d. June 27, 1901. still there 1879; 1867 resident Thomas & Michael Collins. By 1885 lot 4 T. Hammet west; T. Collins east half. 1885
The pioneer on this lot was Mr. Longley, then C. Barrett 1867 resident Charles Barrett- from Guelph Mercury, Feb. 15, 1883 " The name of Mr. Robert Barrett, son of Mr. Charles Barret of Puslinch appears on a line of inventors in the State of Missouri who received patents. His invention is a lift for plate rolling mills. The young man alluded to is a chief engineer and master mechanic in one of the larger iron working establishments in the west, situated in St. Louis. C. Barratt 1885. Charles Barrett died in 1938, Over 80 years a resident here. Survived by brother Peter. Barrett who was here in 1875. Mary Isabell O'Neail who d. Friday Jan 26, 1912 from Lot 5 con 2 to St. Marys R.C. Church to Hespeler RC Cemetery.
McAlister Alexander McAlister, 3 daughters, and son John McAllister with his bride, Christina Ramsay 1812-1904, emigrated and lived the first winter with the Lamonts and with John Thomson and Neil McPhatter on the 1st concession, until they had their house built on R2 L5, where their eldest son, Archibald was born in 1834, He died in 1919 .He farmed with his brother Alexander 1835. Other siblings were Elizabeth, 1838, Christina 1840, Jane c 1842, and Johann 1844, who was born after her father died. .In 1851 Christina remarried to Thomas Heritage, c 1810, from England. Their daughter Martha was born later that year and lived her entire life on the farm. Archibald McAlister’s son John with sisters Edith and Jessie remained on the farm. After their deaths in the mid 20th century, their nephew Thomas and wife Kay McMaster raised their family there.
John Dickie born Scotland 1817-1888 m.Elizabeth Adams 1819-1874.in 1847. Mrs. Dickie was a great Ellis chapel worker Their family in 1851 were Jane, 1847-1874 m Shaw, William 1840-1933 who m. 1877 Elizabeth Archibald of Lucknow and they lived here until 1911 when they sold and moved to the Carrot Lake area of Saskatchewan. Margaret 1850-1937 m R.D. Gibson and farmed at Melfort SK. Mary d 1870, Robert left home at 15 and lost contact with the family. Elizabeth 1867-1946 known as Bessie was a grad of Toronto General Hospital and was a Home Missionary who served the mountain people of Tennessee. She died 1946 age 79 at Melford at the home of her niece, Mrs. W.F. Evans.
William's family was: Mary, Mrs. Fred Evans, Beatty Sask. She and her sister Eleanor were both teachers; Eleanor married George Evans and lived Davis Sask. Gordon Dickie was a medical doctor and lived in US. Mrs. C.Martin White, Los Angeles;? Dr. J.D Dickie, J. Russell Dickie of Melfort SK.
SS 11 School. The new school was built on the north-east corner of the intersection of the Accommodation Road and the side road 5. The building is of stone, the stones being hauled from the farms of James and Elija Eagle. It was completed and the school opened in 1866. Beside this road, on the south-west corner of the farm occupied by John Dickie, Rear 2 the first school was built in 1846, a log building about 36 x 40 feet with a cottage shaped roof. The building of dove-tail corners on a log building was a very particular and exact piece of workmanship, and only the most expert axemen were chosen to build them as as they were exposed to full view, the workmanship on each corner was examined and criticize by the critical public for years to come. The corner men chosen on this school were Neil Holm, William Lamont, Andrew Eanfoot and Edward Ellis. The first teacher was Mr. Renney, followed by Alexander Fraser, John Munroe, Mr. Mewart, Mr. Collins and R H. Knowles who was the last teacher in the old and the first teacher in the new. 1906 William Dickie had both Front & Rear Lot 7.
Charles Sherritt sold to Alex. Weir c 1813, from Scotland and was there both in 1851 &1867 in a 1-story, single family Log House. He went to Michigan after 1876; Next was Capel Reeve and his wife, Agnes Fyfe, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Fyfe was born at their home in Paisley Block, January 1849. In 1876 she married Capel Reeve, from Suffolk England, and he was there for 48 years. Capel Reeve was a veteran of the Fenian Raids. Family: Elizabeth R.N. from a Vancouver hospital (Mrs. Thos Chester) Santa Monico, Cal. Mrs. Harry McBride, Vancouver. James & John of Cochrane Alberta; William of Grand Forks, BC and Robert at home. The Reeve's son Robert (1889-1971 lived and worked the farm until he retired in 1953. His wife was Ellen (Nellie) Rogerson who taught at SS11, daughter of Robert from Nichol. m. 1915. Son Robert; Dau. Helen Mrs. Garner Einwechter both of Hespeler. Active at Ellis Chapel; UFO Pres 1920; member South Waterloo Ag Soc.
1885 Thomas Ellis 1815-1906 married Sarah Kitchen in 1841. They were the parents of David, John W., Dorothy, Edward, Margaret, Nathan and James. He was an original Ellis Chapel Trustee. 1856 commissioned as Captain in the Second Battalion of Wellington :Militia. Later Major. Deputy Reeve. On first district council in 1848, Waterloo council in 1850. United Council of Wellington and Grey in 1853. Justice of Peace 1850. In later years, the sons of Sarah and
Thomas distinguished themselves as scholars, farmers and military men. Travel and adventure appealed to these young men. Edward went with the first expedition to Fort Garry, and was on a Boundary commission. James went to the North West (Saskatchewan).in 1878. Thomas Ellis was active in municipal
politics and administered law. He died 1906 age 91.Nathan, the fourth son b. 1854, was Major of the 29th Battalion, previous to his removal to New York.
James, the youngest b. 1856, is on the homestead, and is Captain of no.5 company of the 29th. Daughters Dorothy b. c1846 and Margaret b. 1852 Obit for Captain James Ellis - had a cheery voice and a hearty grasp of his hand. Youngest son of Thos Ellis, he was educated at #11 under R.H. Knowles and, qualifying as a teacher, he taught in Puslinch and Dumfries. When his health failed he spent several years in St. Louis and other points south. While there he married Catharine Gregory. He returned to Canada about 1883, lived on the homestead Walnut Villa and served a term in Puslinch Council and was gazetted as captain of E Co 20th regiment. A few years later he left again and moved to Niagara Falls and later St. Catharines where he died. His broad sympathies and his genius for organizing made him a prominent figure in the benefit societies of Hespeler. An efficient officer and a born soldier, like his four older brothers. His aged father still survives, and Edward and Nathan. Two children Dec 14 1905 Hespeler Herald.1906 Thomas Ellis
1923 Mrs. G. Ross.
Joseph Copeland, a native of Yorkshire England, settled on lot 10, rear 2. Still there 1858. Robert Little Jr. purchased this in 1861 William J c1876-1955 took over the farms m. Alice Bond Issue: Eleanor Mrs. Herb Eltherington, Ruth Mrs. George Panabaker, Robert m Minnie Richardson and set. in Oshawa Bur Hespeler 1867 resident: Frank Rutley 1885 R.Little.
1923 W.J. Little
Two weddings: A Pretty Wedding at Lakeside on Wed evening the 20th the time honored shores of Puslinch Lake resounded with a merry sound - the sound of wedding bells. The joyful sound came from Lakeside, the beautiful residence of Mr. John Bond, it being the occasion of the marriage of his second daughter, Alice E. to Mr William J Little of the same neighborhood. The beautiful strains of the Wedding March, played by Miss Ella Little, heralded the approach of the bridal party.
The bride looked charming, arrayed in a gown of white organdie, with white satin trimmings carrying a beautiful bouquet of white roses. She was attended by her sister, Eleanor, who was tastefully gowned with chiffon trimmings and carrying bouquet of yellow roses. The groom was supported by his brother R.A.J. Little of Oshawa. Rev Harvey of Fergus assisted Rev James Little uncle of the groom. The mystic knot was tied amid an artistic decoration of smilax, ferns etc. Fifty guests sat down to a recherche wedding dinner at the close of which toasts were proposed and heartily responded to. Their new home will be at Willow Grove.
Fergus wedding one of brightest society events of the season
The bride Minnie Richardson of Hespeler was married to Albert Little of Oshawa at her cousin's on Feb 2 The groom was supported by his cousin John Fife of Puslinch Lake. Willow Grove for a few days before going home to Oshawa.
John North, an American was the first settler here. In the 1851 census, he was 66, and his wife Charlotte, who was Canadian, was age 52. Their family included Canadian born Thomas age 14, William age 14 and Charles age11in a 1 Family Log House He sold to an English sportsman named Pearce, who knew little in regard to farming. As an illustration of his practical methods it is said on one occasion he planted potatoes with great care, but dug them up next day, as he possessed nothing else to satisfy the craving of his appetite. His career on the farm was not long nor particularly successful 1867 resident: Henry Pierce. Later he was a successful hunter, and was associated with Puslinch Lake. C . Hutchinson - he sold both lots in 1862 Purchased by Alfred Evans 1867 resident R. Little 1885 R. Little. 1923 W.J. Little
Gilbert Cochrane; John Cochrane bought this property from the Crown 29 November, 1866 for $325.00. In 1872, Jan. 17, William Fenton Evans bought north half of lot 12, 2nd concession, Puslinch for $2,600.00 from John Cochrane of the Township of Howard, County of Kent, Ontario. 1885 W. Evans 1923 A. Evans & J. Gilchrist This property later went to Alfred Evans, William’s son, and from him to Robert Evans).
Malcolm McCaig b Puslinch m Ann Cochrane owned lot 13 conc 2. Their son Archibald 1906 on Coburn Is land and son Gilbert in Hespeler d in his 85th yea, lived in Hespeler 40 years. By 1877 the farm was split. West side J. Aikens, E side J Kinsella. 1906 West David Evans E half John Gilchrist.
First settled by Matthew Farrel James Mason 1867 resident; 1871 & 1885 Burial in Ellis cemetery 1867 resident: John McGuinnes Innkeeper Mason family: Elizabeth 1866-1869 and Annie Mason 1872-1876, daughters of James and Mary Mason who lived on the north half of lot 4, con. 2. James was there in 1875. 1923 H Galbeher ?George Stirling; Leslie Garness
First settled by James Farrel. John Gilchrist married Euphemia Wilkinson, daughter of Neil and Mary, bought it in 1855 and lived on it till 1900. At his death it passed to his son John (1859-1924). In 1914 John sold it to his brother William (1867-1943), who owned it until 1926, when Mr. Cunnington bought it. The first buildings were log and the barn stood where the house is now. The log house was north of the orchard. The present barn was built in 1873, the house in 1886; Anthony Robertson (1864-1925) m. Annie Gilchrist in 1890 lived there in 1923 & 1925; Robertson children included Bell who trained as a nurse in Boston, Jessie who was organist at Ellis for many years. Margaret was a faithful Sunday School teacher. Lewis and Iva Gregor bought the farm in 1946, farmed until they built a retirement home on the county road.
Pioneered by Archibald Lloyd who sold to Archibald Gilchrist there 1885; his son Evan. 1923 J. McCaig .John Allardyce. Schneider farm (John Hamilton) Dumfries Reformer April 26 1854 At the residence of the bride’s brother, on Thursday the 6th inst., by Rev James Strang, Archibald Gilchrist, to Janet, youngest daughter of Evan McIntyre, Glenfeshire, Invernesshire, Scotland.
Donald McCaig c 1794and his brother James, with their families, emigrated from Argyllshire. Arriving in a Scottish settlement in Nova Scotia in 1823.
Donald applied for crown land in the Gore District, northwest of York. Donald, his wife Mary (nee Cochrane) c 1798 in Scotland and their two Scottish
daughters stayed for a time in Nova Scotia where five more children were born. In 1836 the family moved to Puslinch to settle on lot 17, north half
of concession 2-the 100 acres assigned to them. In 1851, Hector, age 22, Janet age 18, Marjorie, age 16 all born in NS, and Mary age 13 born in Upper Canada.
The sight of their first clearing and home is known to us, although no buildings remain. On a very dry year there is an area, in the ten-acre field south of the present bank barn, where the grain grows a slightly different colour, outlining the original homestead and well. A family of nine, Gaelic speaking, the McCaigs began clearing trees and making a home for themselves in their new country. a log cabin and log barn were built that first season, but the task of clearing the land took several years to complete. It is not difficult to imagine the family's joy in 1840 at the arrival of Donald's brother James, his wife Catherine and their five children, to settle on the adjacent property (lot 18, conc. 2)
The 1869 Puslinch Assessment Rolls show that thirty years after their arrival McCaigs had cleared 80 of their 100 acres.
A farm family made its living from the ability to produce crops and raise livestock. It is not surprising that the first permanent structure built on the farm was the barn, in 1859. Pioneers like the McCaigs knew that the low stone :byres: they'd known in Scotland were not ideal here. To carry feed and bedding from outbuildings, in a blizzard, was soon convincing. So they contracted with a Waterloo Co. builder, Mr. Wm. Baer, to erect a Pennsylvania-German style "bank" barn
The Agricultural Census of 1871 records the farm's crops. Wheat, peas, oats, potatoes, turnips, carrots, hay and barley were grown by McCaigs. It gives the quantities grown and also lists the animals, equipment bad building. It was during the wheat boom of the mid-1800's that Ontario farmers began to prosper. The price of wheat skyrocketed during the Crimean war (1853-56 and farm families began building permanent homes to replace crowded log cabins. By the mid-70's the McCaigs' son Hector and his wife Mary nee McKenzie were planning a substantial fieldstone house.
Mary Cochrane McCaig had died in 1868 at age 72. Now Donald, his daughter Marjorie, son Hector, daughter-in-law Mary and their eight children were living in the original cabin. One can understand the excitement, as plans were chosen for a 2- floor, 14 room home with 10' ceilings and 2 staircases after the crowded conditions of 12 people in a 2 -room low-ceilinged cabin with sleeping loft! At stonemason was secured, limestone and granite were hauled in, then tragedy struck. Mary McKenzie McCaig died September 21, 1874 at age 40. After a winter to recover, the family proceeded with construction in the spring of 1875 and two men lived in the house for two winters to do the interior woodworking. Hector McCaig and his eight children, now 4 to 21 years of age, moved into their fine new home in 1877. Such was Donald Sr's attachment to the first ten acres he had cleared on the homestead that he worked it as his own, even after turning the farm over to his son Hector. He remained in the original cabin, with his daughter Marjorie keeping house for him, until his death in 1882 at age 88.
INSPECTOR & POET James & Catherine Taylor McCaig's eldest son Donald (born May 15, 1832) was Inspector of Schools in Algoma district and is author of a book of poems. Donald, after finishing his schooling at the little log cabin school, went on to Toronto, and graduated from the Toronto Normal School in November, 1858, with the highest honours of his year. [From Collingwood Express Bulletin, August 3, 1905] He taught in Wellington Co until 1864, when he and Alexander McMillan rented the Rockwood Academy from William Wetherald continuing the high standards set by their predecessor. They added a large classroom to the building, extra dormitories, and a stone gymnasium. The number of students enrolled rivalled that of Dr. Tassie's school in Galt, and Upper Canada College in Toronto. During his tenure as principal of the Academy, Donald McCaig did some writing. One of his books, The Reply to John Stuart Mill's On the Subjection of Women, published 1871, gained a fair amount of fame in Canada, the United States, and England. A few years after he left the Academy, he published a book of poems entitled Milestone Moods and Memories. In this volume of nature poems are found some stanzas descriptive of the area around Rockwood. It is not known why he sold his share of the Academy to Alexander McMillan in 1871, but he did so, and in the fall of that year he accepted the position of principal of the Central School in Berlin (Kitchener). He stayed there until February, 1872, and later became a teacher in Galt and in the public schools in Ottawa. In 1886 McCaig was appointed public School Inspector for the District of Algoma, which at that time stretched from North Bay and Sudbury on the east, to the eastern boundary of Manitoba on the west. He was also the Inspector of the schools on Manitoulin Island. His headquarters were at Collingwood, and in winter he made his rounds by snow-shoe and dog sled, and in spring and fall by canoe. He must have been kept fairly busy, for in his report to the Minister of Education in 1890 he stated that he had one hundred and eighteen school houses and one hundred and twenty-seven teachers under his inspectorate. As he became older, he gave up all the Algoma district inspectorate, and kept only that of Collingwood, which had by that time become a thriving lake port. He died July 28, 1905, having completed fifty years in educational work. While teaching near Guelph as a young man, Donald McCaig married Ellen Smith, daughter of Alex and Mary (Beattie) Smith, and they had ten children.
Puslinch Pioneer by Lynn Crow July Aug 1986 v11 Issue 1
Hector McCaig Sr. youngest son of Donald and Mary, was second in the family to farm the homestead. He was known as a breeder of horses and, along with Kenneth McKenzie, won many prizes at area fairs. His wife, Mary McKenzie McCaig had died in 1874 and his sister Marjorie kept house for him after their father’s death in 1882. Hector Sr. and Mary and 3 daughters and 5 sons. The eldest son, Donald, bought lot 18 front 3 across the road. And his great-grandson Neil McCaig continues to farm there today. Hector Jr. took over the homestead in 1901, and the other three sons went west where they operated a planing mill at Portage La Prairie. All three daughters married Puslinch farmers. Hector Sr. was responsible for the development of the original homestead. To this day, we marvel at the craftsmanship used to build both the bank barn 1859 and the house 1875. There were 2 windmills in use here in the 1880's. The first pumped water from the dug well and the second, more unique, chopped grain in the barn. The grain mill was massive and its shaft and enormous height. A patch in the north side of the barn roof reminds us of the mill that was built right into the barn. McCaigs ground their own and neighbors grain, usually when there was an east wind because it was more constant. The size of the timbers and the finishing details (built-in ladders, ratchet wheels used to raise the harvested sheaves to the upper mow level) make the barn irreplaceable. No detail was spared on the house either. Stones for the north and west sides were laid out on the ground, where the stonemason planned the pattern. Half a dozen colors of granite were used, with H-pattern limestone connectors. Red pine woodwork was hand-planed, and given elaborate moldings. The parlor was finished in imitation bird’s-eye and tiger maple, the stain remaining in perfect condition today. Whenever there was an outside angle on an interior wall, the carpenters added a pine finishing strip. A party held in the house in 1900 was such that it will ever be forgotten. Hector Sr., no doubt due to the untimely death of his wife at age 40, was known as a stern man. Several of his children were still at home, now young adults, in 1900. They wanted to celebrate the turn of the century but knew their father wouldn’t allow a party. So they waited until Hector Sr. And Aunt Marjorie planned a visit to Mt. Forest, a distance that required an overnight stay in horse and buggy days, and invited their friends to celebrate. Katie McAllister of Crieff was one of the guests and she told Lila McCaig years later that Hector Jr. and Johnny Gilchrist provided the music. They pushed the table into the corner of the kitchen, placed two chairs on top and sat above the guests, playing their fiddles till morning.
Hector Sr. sold the homestead to his son in 1901, and died in 1906. At the age of 55, in 1926, Hector Jr and his wife Mary Jane nee Smith decided to retire. Their adopted son Clifford had no interest in farming so the homestead was sold. William Crow, of the rear half of lot 21 bought the farm from Hector for his eldest son Gladwyn. William was still working ow farm and wanted a second property for Gladwyn. William’s youngest son Gordon continues to farm lot 21 today.
In 1930 Gladwyn and his bride of a few weeks were surprised one evening to hear the sound of a fiddler progressing over their front hills from the 3rd concession. It was Johnny Gilchrist, paying a call to commemorate the evening 30 years earlier when he and young Hec McCaig had treated the area young people to an evening in honor of the new century.
During the 30's the Crows began registering purebred animals. In order to register them a farm name had to be chosen. Gladwyn had raised a Clydesdale colt from an imported Scottish mare named Phyllis of Castlecravie. He was told that Ardyne meant home in the hills, in Gaelic and thought that was an appropriate choice for a farm worked by generations of Scots. The first animal he registered was his colt Ardyne Phyllis and the name continues for all our animals 50 years later.
Donald McCaig who married Mary Cochrane in Scotland, came to Nova Scotia in 1823 and to Puslinch in 1838 and purchased rear lot 17 con 2 on which he lived until his death in 1875. The family consisted of 3 sons, Alexander, Malcolm and Hector, and 6 daughters, Mrs. Hugh McLean, Mrs. Neil Thompson, afterwards Mrs. John Cook, Mrs. Alex Stewart (son of John), Mrs. John Duncan, Mrs. Geo. Logan, and Marjorie. Hector McCaig Sr. m Mary McKenzie on April 12, 1853 and farmed the homestead. Died 1891. James and Alex in 1875; 1885 H. McCaig 1923 H McCaig
Hector McCaig was born in Nova Scotia in 1830 on Hallow eve night, was the son of Donald McCaig; he married Mary McKenzie in 1852. She died in 1874 age 40. Family of Hector McCaig and Mary McKenzie remained on the homestead lot 18 conc 3. His son Hector had it till his death in 1901 (or 1906 - see below) . Hector and Kenneth McKenzie of Portage La Prairie were noted pioneers. He had 5 sons, Donald on lot 17 conc 3, Duncan, James and Malcolm in Manitoba and Hector on the homestead. Mrs. Angus McPherson, Mrs. Robert Cameron and Catherine, Mrs. Wm. Bond d. 1921 age 57. Gladwin Crow; Bill Crow. A March 15 1906 Hespeler Herald item saying Hector McCaig of lot 17 3rd conc Puslinch died from Bright’s disease
Rear 2nd About 1838 James and Catherine (Taylor) McCaig came and settled on lot 18 with the family. They had come from Oban, Argyleshire. In 1851 James c 1801 and wife Catherine McCaig c 1805 with their Canadian born family, two in Cape Breton, Donald c 1831, Catherine c 1834, the others in Upper Canada Mary c 1836, Christy c 1841, Alexander c 1843.
John Cameron c 1813 laborer, in a 1 Story, 1 Family Log House Alex McCaig owned Front & Rear 1867 resident 1885 & 1906 1923 A. Smith
John Wilkinson c 1811 from Scotland and wife Ann Gilchrist c 1820 and family in 1851, Catherine c 1846, Anne c 1847, Alexander c 1849, Mary c 1850. John’s brother, Alexander c1821 who was a sailor on the Great Lakes was with them30 as was their sister Margaret c 1816. Most of this family went to the Chatham area; 1867 resident & Alex; 1875 A & J. 1885 & 1906 1923 W. McKay. John McCaig; Norman Roszell
Early settled by Mr. Forbes 1867 resident Wm Forbes; In the 1851 census, William c 1811 from Scotland, with wife Anne c 1811, and Canadian born children, Elizabeth c 1845, Roderick 1847, Daniel c 1848, Christen c 1850 in a 1 Family Log House with Catherine Cameron c 1838. By 1885 William’s son Charles held the property. More recent names are H Shantz & H Berger; Farkes; Leslie Jackson; then sub-divided.
John Boyd was the first to settle on lot 22. He sold to Kenneth McKenzie and went to Dundas. 1842 Archibald Little; 1885 R. Douglas had lot 21 and 22 1906-1911 Angus McPherson and wife Isabella McCaig had both lots; by 1923 William Crow and finally his son Gordon Crow had both lots.
See lot 21 for ownership. Mostly cedar swamp.
According to the Smith family history compiled by James C. Smith of Mississauga, the exact arrival of the first Smith from the traditional home of Lairdholm Farm in Dumfriesshire Scotland was prior to 1832 and this was John who settled here, got a deed, and returned to Scotland. Brother James arrived in 1832 and Alex with wife Mary before 1835. John c 1840, 1842 Alex Smith m. Euphemia McKay; 1843 Alex & John; In the 1851 census Alexander Smith c 1818 from Scotland with wife Mary c 1816 and their Canadian born children, Mary c 1838, Ellen c 1841, Rachel c 1842, Isabella c 1846, James c 1849 in a 1 Story, 1 Family Log House. 1867 resident Alexander & John Smith; 1885 A. Smith. 1923 A. Smith; Bruce Smith. N.Visser & sons; 1995 sold (aggregate) Lovely stone house still extant
First settled by John Shipley. It was first purchased by the Rev. James Smith c1787-1853, the first Presbyterian Minister in Guelph, inducted into St. Andrew’s in 1832. He does not appear to have survived the 1843 disruption as a minister. Perhaps that is when he came to Puslinch His wife Margaret c 1802-1862 and their family, James and John, Mrs. Geo Taylor, Jemima, Mrs. Rev. Donald McLean, Mrs. Forbes, Miss. Elizabeth. C 1847-1912; 1867owner John Smith; 1875 & 1885 Jackson Worthington. 1923 H. Quirk Sub-divided.
Hugh McNaughton's house was on this lot, facing the 7th.1867 resident; 1885 A. Smith. 1923 R. McMillan
Hugh McNaughton as late as 1879. When he left, lots 26 and 27 were realigned, into north and south parts. North part 1885 Alex McDiarmid; South part 1923 & 1950 George and John Neabauer.
Membership in the society is open to anyone interested in the history of Puslinch Township giving you access to the archives, assistance with your research from committed voluteers, a newsletter and occasional events of historic interest.
29 Brock Road South
Puslinch Historical Society
c/o Puslinch Library
R.R. #3, 29 Brock Road South
Guelph (Aberfoyle), Ontario N1H 6H9